Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I'm back and on Blogger

A few years ago I started a blog on Wordpress called The New Adventures of the same old Amanda The title was a play on a semi-popular sitcom featuring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and although it was no Seinfeld, 'The New adventures of the Old Christine ' had a catchy name and I felt as though it was a great domain for me to steal/adapt into my own "tell all" of my early twenties.  The mishaps and happenings of teaching in South Korea, traveling solo through South East Asia,  discovering Lady Gaga as my Birthday twin (exact day and year) moving to New York City, and rubbing elbows with the recently passed  Philip Seymour-Hoffman- the blog HAD IT ALL.

Unfortunately, after a  2- year hiatus from "The New Adventures of the same old Amanda", I found myself recently moved to Uganda to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer, sans Wordpress password. After unsucessfully racking my brain for all the passwords I've used since my 7th grade hotmail account (the password was boobies)  I decided it was time to give the people what they want! So here I am, starting a new blog 10 months into my Peace Corps service.

I know, I know, you've missed my bitch sessions about 11 weeks of training, safari pictures, gorilla encounters, camp stories, and how I'm finally learning  to domesticate, BUT I promise you 17 more months of African adventure and stories of awkward cultural differences.  You can also look forward to reading about my "Peace Corps Yoganda" project where I am attempting to bring yoga to my Ugandan community. Get it? Yoganda!!

*Living on African time  will explore the successes and struggles of my life as a PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer) in Uganda and hopefully offer you a better understanding on what it means to live as an American on African time. With time considered fluid and an attitude of "As long as it gets done, it doesn't matter when", living and working in Africa as a westerner proves to have its challenges. But alas, mpora, mpora (slowly by slowly or step by step) things will get done…eventually.

*African time or (Africa time) is the perceived cultural tendency, in most parts of Africa, toward a more relaxed attitude to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment